Home > About ROKA > History
The ROK Army established its 1st National Security Regiment in Tae-neung, Seoul, in January, 1946 and a National Security Command was established in Seoul on February 1, 1946. By November 1946, ROKA established 2nd~9th regiments in each province.
In May, 1946, Southern Cho-sun National Defense Security Military Academy was established in Tae-neung, Seoul and initially started to train military officers by accepting 88 infantry cadets.
The ROK changed the name of its National Defense Command to the Ministry of National Defense on March 29, 1946. Again on June 15, 1946, it was renamed to Chief Command. The National Security Regiments were renamed to Southern Cho-sun Security Force, and National Defense Security Military Academy was changed to Southern Cho-sun Security Military Academy as well. After the break-down of the USㆍRussia Conference, the Cho-sun Security Force expanded to 5 brigades, and 15 regiments (about 50,000 soldiers) in 1948.
As for a military educational facility, the Communications Academy was established after the Security Military Academy and later, OrdnanceㆍEngineersㆍMilitary PoliceㆍIntelligenceㆍArtilleryㆍStaffㆍInfantryㆍSurgeonㆍAccountantㆍLogisticsㆍMilitary Music Academies were established. ROKA also tried to enhance the quality of its officer corps by sending students to the US. By the end of the 1950s, 10,000 students were sent to US military schools.